Argent Vault is a significant upgrade to Argent. It makes Argent even more secure and simple. It also makes Argent cheaper to use in terms of gas.
Release date & how to upgrade
- Argent Vault is rolling out from the week of 26th April.
- As soon as it's available you will see the prompt to upgrade in app when you next take an action.
Replacing daily limits
Argent used to have daily limits. Anything above your limit required guardian approval. Anything below did not. (For more information on guardians, see this post).
We're replacing daily limits with an even more secure, simple and gas efficient system.
With Argent Vault:
- Transactions with anything untrusted requires guardians. They are automatically blocked if guardians are not used.
- Transactions with anything trusted does not require guardians; it is seamless.
Why is it more gas efficient?
- Daily limits were stored and updated on-chain. Removing them lowers the gas for all transactions in Argent.
Argent Vault provides maximum security and minimum friction. To be more precise on what it involves:
1. Trusted contacts
You can choose to trust an address, for example a friend's wallet, or your exchange account. Transfers to a trusted address do not require guardians. Any other transfers do require guardians.
- To add a trusted address you need to pay Ethereum network fees ('gas'). This is because our security is blockchain-based and adding an address requires gas. The amount you need to pay will depend on the current gas price. It will be displayed clearly in app before you confirm.
- To remove a trusted address, we pay the gas for you. This is because it enhances your security.
2. Trust Lists
To simplify your usage of Dapps, we've created Trust Lists. These are selections of Dapps that do not require guardians to use because they're trusted.
To start, Argent Vault will launch with the 'Argent Trust List'.
- This list will contain all the Dapps in the 'Invest' tab in Argent, e.g. Compound, Aave, Lido.
- Argent will manage the list to keep it in sync with the Invest tab.
- There is a one-week timelock to add a Dapp to the list. Removing a Dapp from it is instant. This enhances security.
You're in control.
- The List is active by default but you can opt out by disabling it.
- To disable it: please go to your Profile > Security > Trust lists and tap on Argent list. You will see an 'Enabled' button. Tap on it to toggle it off. Disabling the trusted list is a transaction and will require Ethereum network fees (gas) to be paid.
3. Trusted Sessions
You can choose a period of time where you won't need guardian approval for transactions.
You can choose between:
- 1 hour
- 3 hours
- 1 year
For more on Trusted Sessions, please see this guide.
To start or end a Trusted Session, go to the Security tab of your wallet and tap Trusted Session.
- Our contract upgrade has been independently audited by Adam Kolář of G0, and reviewed by Samczsun.
- It's also open source for you to inspect.